Juvederm: What is it and who can benefit from it?
Juvederm is an FDA approved hyaluronic acid filler for the treatment of superficial facial lines and folds such as nasolabial folds. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring polysaccharide (sugar) found in the skin and joints. It is responsible for skin turgor (tone and "spring") and it decreases with age and sun exposure, causing the skin to sink in and look older from the lines, folds and shadows. Juvederm can be used for fine lipstick lines around the mouth when injected with a small needle. Although it is approved for lines and folds, it can also be used to re-volumize the cheeks, lips and temples and to fill in under-eye hallowing.
Juvederm’s strength is that it is very soft and results in a very natural correction. Juvederm can be dissolved by hyaluronidase if any lumping or adverse events occur, making it a very safe and popular alternative for non-surgical rejuvenation. Juvederm patients can be as young as their early 20’s (usually for lip augmentation) or as old as their eighties (for fine lines around the mouth), but the usual Juvederm patient is between 30 and 60. When Juvederm is combined with Botox or Dysport (two FDA approved neuromodulators) the aging face can be softly and naturally reshaped without cutting or downtime. Juvederm works well with many lasers as well. Acne scars can also benefit from fillers like Juvederm and Botox according to research.
Dr Lupo was an investigator for the FDA study in 2004-2005 that resulted in Juvederm approval in the US and introduced this filler to Australian doctors in 2007. She often is asked to train physicians on the use of this product at meetings for the American Academy of Dermatology, the American Society for Dermatological Surgery and the Cosmetic Boot Camp. She has taught the Tulane residents filler techniques since 1984.
For additional information on Juvederm please read the following article:
- Juvéderm Dermal Fillers New Orleans - New Orleans area Dermatologist discusses Juvéderm and other Dermal Fillers
- Juvéderm Benefits New Orleans - Who benefits from Juvéderm injections by New Orleans area dermatologist?
- Juvéderm Frown Lines New Orleans - Can Juvéderm be used for New Orleans patients to address frown lines?
- Juvederm Fillers New Orleans - Juvederm: What is it and who can benefit from it?
- Juvederm New Orleans LA - Why might a New Orleans, LA patient consider Juvéderm injections?