A. Yes, but it is technically more difficult so an expert who is experienced in the techniques must be the one injecting the Botox. One of my favorite uses is for the “gummy smile”. This happens when the muscles pull the upper lip up so high, you can see the upper gums. A little Botox in just the right spot lowers the lip to cover the gums when the person smiles. It often results in the lips looking a bit larger as well.
Q. I am very confused about when I need Botox and when I need filler for my crow’s feet.
A. I was part of the FDA trial evaluating the safety and efficacy of Botox in moderate to severe lateral canthal lines (crow’s feet) over 4 years ago. I found that those with severe sun damage and resulting skin laxity needed more than just Botox. Adding filler to smooth the deeper lines, or resurfacing the area with laser will often be necessary for older patients and those with a history of tanning. The daily use of SPF and nightly retinoids (I like Renova best in this area) are very important to smooth the surface texture and prevent further damage. A good skin care program (Teoxane and Neocutis Lumierre Eye Cream on which I did the clinical trial over a decade ago, remain my go to cosmeceuticals to complement the sunscreen and Renova. Finally, I strongly recommend patients begin Botox for crow’s feet in their late 20’s. After 18 years of injecting Botox, I have seen firsthand its preventative benefits in smoothing crow’s feet before they get deeply etched into the skin.
Q. I love my Botox results, but I am hearing about a new product called Xeomin which is supposed to be more “pure”. Is Xeomin better than Botox?
A. Great question. We now have 3 neuromodulators on the market here in the US that are FDA approved for glabellar frown lines (and Botox is FDA approved for lateral canthal lines or “crow’s feet”). Botox has been around the longest for cosmetic use (since 2002) and then we had Mypbloc, but it was not nearly as good, so it is not available. Then came Dysport, which seems to have a larger area of effect than Botox. In my office, most of those who tried Dysport, went back to Botox. A few liked it more, so they have stuck with that product. Recently, Xeomin got FDA approval. It does not have the complexing proteins found in the other 2 products, thus they call it more “pure”. The fact is, no one knows if these complexing proteins are good, bad or make no difference. I have had a few people try Xeomin and a few like it better than Botox. So here is my recommendation: if you love Botox, why switch? If, however, you feel the Botox does not give you the result you like, or it doesn’t last more than 3 months, perhaps you should give the new product, Xeomin, a try.
More Botox Related Questions
- Botox for Gummy Smile New Orleans - Can Botox be used around the mouth?
- Botox For Smiles New Orleans LA - I have a crooked smile and would like it fixed. My lips are full, so I do not want filler. Will I need surgery to fix it?
- Safe Botox New Orleans LA - I have recently read in the New York Times that Botox improves depression. Do you think this is true?
- Botox After Results New Orleans - I thought Botox was only for frown lines, but I have friends who get it everywhere! I am confused. Where can Botox be injected?
- Botox Injection Benefits in New Orleans - I have recently heard about unusual uses for Botox. One friend told me you used Botox to enlarge the lips? I thought fillers were used for this?
- Botox Louisiana - Is it ever possible for Botox to stop working? I found that the last time, it did not take as well. It has been a while since I had it and hoped it would work as well as it used to
- Botox Results New Orleans - I have heard about Botox into the neck, but I am confused about what this would do to make you look younger. Please explain it.
- Botox Treatment New Orleans - How long will Botox last?
- Botox Cosmetic New Orleans - I have a very square jaw. I think it makes me look masculine. Can filler of laser improve that?
- Botox Treatment in New Orleans - How long before my Botox kicks in?
- Botox Before And After New Orleans - Will Botox help bags under my eyes?
- Botox And Dysport New Orleans - I have not started laser hair removal on my underarms YET, but I am wondering if Dysport and laser can be done at the same time or if the Dysport interferes with the laser treatment.
- Botox Cosmetic in New Orleans - Can you do both Restylane L and Dysport on the same day for my frown lines? My doctor says I need both for best results.
- Botox Injections New Orleans - Is there a waiting period between getting Botox injections after finishing Medrol 4 mg pack? I recently had poison ivy and was put on this medication for 6 days, taking 6 (4mg) pills on day one, 5 on day 2, 4 on day three, etc. I am not sure how long I should wait since this suppresses the immune system. Any thoughts or suggestions?
- New Orleans Botox - I have deep lines under my eyes and I always look tired. Can Botox help this problem?
- Benefits of Botox New Orleans - How long does it take for Dysport to take effect?
- Botox touch ups in New Orleans - I manage an advertising firm and I am constantly asked "why are you angry?". Even when I am in a good mood, I feel that my expressions are off-putting. Is there a way to improve my appearance without looking feminine?
- Hyperhidrosis treatment in New Orleans - Can botox be used for the treatment of axillary sweating?
Back to Botox Home Page