A. The full effect from Botox may not be seen for 2 weeks, but in general, within 3 days you will begin to see relaxation of your lines.
Q. I tried a new doctor who suggested I try Dysport instead of Botox. I hate the way I look. I now look mean and I lost the arch of my brows. Frankly, I look like a guy! Do you think it was the Dysport or the doctor?
A. Odds are, it was the injection pattern used by the doctor and not the fault of the Dysport. I have often said, what is being injected is only as good as who is injecting it. Your medial frontalis was over injected. This can be fixed with a little more product in just the right spots. See if the doctor recognizes the problem and tells you she can fix it. If not, move on.
Q. My dermatologist does filler on me regularly and I have had Dysport to treat my frown lines. She has recently suggested Dysport around my mouth. I have never heard about that! I'd like a second opinion.
A. Dysport, and its better known competitor, Botox, are FDA approved for frown lines and excess sweating. Dermatologists often use these neuromodulators for other "off-label" indications. In very small doses, Dysport can be used for lipstick lines to relax lip pursing. It can be injected into the chin for excess dimpling, and finally nearer to the jawline to lift the mouth corner (when used with filler, it works better). These injections are trickier and must be done with great care. It should not be used on musicians, singers or people who make a living from talking.
Q. I have a downturned mouth. It makes me look sad, even when I am happy. Since Botox helps decrease frowning, can it help that sad look?
A. Yes, Botox can be injected into a muscle on each side of the mouth called the depressor angularis oris (DAO). This muscle pulls the corner of the mouth down. It is a tricky injection and should be done conservatively, and it works best with filler into the marionette area, but it does improve that sad look.
More Botox Related Questions
- Botox for Gummy Smile New Orleans - Can Botox be used around the mouth?
- Botox For Smiles New Orleans LA - I have a crooked smile and would like it fixed. My lips are full, so I do not want filler. Will I need surgery to fix it?
- Safe Botox New Orleans LA - I have recently read in the New York Times that Botox improves depression. Do you think this is true?
- Botox After Results New Orleans - I thought Botox was only for frown lines, but I have friends who get it everywhere! I am confused. Where can Botox be injected?
- Botox Injection Benefits in New Orleans - I have recently heard about unusual uses for Botox. One friend told me you used Botox to enlarge the lips? I thought fillers were used for this?
- Botox Louisiana - Is it ever possible for Botox to stop working? I found that the last time, it did not take as well. It has been a while since I had it and hoped it would work as well as it used to
- Botox Results New Orleans - I have heard about Botox into the neck, but I am confused about what this would do to make you look younger. Please explain it.
- Botox Treatment New Orleans - How long will Botox last?
- Botox Cosmetic New Orleans - I have a very square jaw. I think it makes me look masculine. Can filler of laser improve that?
- Botox Treatment in New Orleans - How long before my Botox kicks in?
- Botox Before And After New Orleans - Will Botox help bags under my eyes?
- Botox And Dysport New Orleans - I have not started laser hair removal on my underarms YET, but I am wondering if Dysport and laser can be done at the same time or if the Dysport interferes with the laser treatment.
- Botox Cosmetic in New Orleans - Can you do both Restylane L and Dysport on the same day for my frown lines? My doctor says I need both for best results.
- Botox Injections New Orleans - Is there a waiting period between getting Botox injections after finishing Medrol 4 mg pack? I recently had poison ivy and was put on this medication for 6 days, taking 6 (4mg) pills on day one, 5 on day 2, 4 on day three, etc. I am not sure how long I should wait since this suppresses the immune system. Any thoughts or suggestions?
- New Orleans Botox - I have deep lines under my eyes and I always look tired. Can Botox help this problem?
- Benefits of Botox New Orleans - How long does it take for Dysport to take effect?
- Botox touch ups in New Orleans - I manage an advertising firm and I am constantly asked "why are you angry?". Even when I am in a good mood, I feel that my expressions are off-putting. Is there a way to improve my appearance without looking feminine?
- Hyperhidrosis treatment in New Orleans - Can botox be used for the treatment of axillary sweating?
Back to Botox Home Page
Our mission at the Lupo Center is to provide patients with innovative, effective and ethical care to make each person look and feel their personal best. To fulfill our goal, we provide state-of-the-art medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments to all patients.
Board certified dermatologist and clinical professor of dermatology Mary P. Lupo, MD has been a leader in the field of non-surgical rejuvenation since 1983. She travels internationally to teach her innovative techniques, and her reputation brings in patients from around the country. She started the first formal residency training program for injectables and peels in 1983 at Tulane Medical School and served as past president of Women’s Dermatologic Society, adjunct professor of dermatology at Tulane and a founder of Cosmetic Boot Camp. Dr. Lupo holds membership in many prestigious dermatology associations, participates in clinical trials for approval of new drugs and devices and acts as an advisor for numerous aesthetic-minded companies.