A: This is a great question because it highlights the importance of seeing a board certified dermatologist who is also experienced in peels. There is so much information (TMI) on the internet that you need the opinion of someone who understands acne, understands peels and the differences between different peel types and skin types, and most importantly can give you the individualized medical evaluation and care to help the acne as well as the pigmentation. You simply cannot get the best care anywhere else. Board certified dermatologists understand acne best and can help control the underlying medical condition. We can assess your skin and choose a peel best suited to your skin type. So step one is to stop guessing and find a qualified dermatologist and then together, you can find the path to better looking skin.
Q: I have a lot of sun freckles all over my chest. What treatment is best for this?
A: First, it is important to try to fade the freckles by using a high SPF sunscreen daily and by using a bleaching product like Triluma. Once that is done for about 4-6 weeks, you might want to consider what is the best next step to further improve the large areas of discoloration. You have many options to review with your dermatologist. Fraxel fractional Thullium, Clear and Brilliant Permea, and IPL are all options, but with a large area, you might want to consider a chemical peel. Chemical peels are often still the most cost-effective methods to improve large surface areas like the chest or arms. The downtime of dryness and peeling can be concealed best during the winter months and it is also important to protect the newly peeled skin from the sun for several weeks and to return to your skin care protocol 2 weeks post peel to maintain the results longer.
More Chemical Peels Related Questions
- Chemical Peel Treatment in New Orleans - I have very dark skin on the back of my neck. It is embarrassing, so I will not wear my hair up. My hair is very unruly, and for work, I need to put it up. I am looking for a solution to lighten the color. Can a chemical peel be done on the neck?
- Chemical Peel After Results New Orleans - I have acne and dark spots. I admit, I tend to pick. Can a peel help the dark spots and if so, which peel is best? There seems to be so many types, I get confused
- New Orleans Chemical Peels - Is it absolutely necessary to have a pre-peel program prior to a peel? I have a big event in 3 weeks and do not have time to prep. Would I be wasting my time?
- Chemical Peels in New Orleans - What are lunchtime peels?
- Chemical Peel New Orleans - I am an African American female with acne scars. I have had mild keloids on my chest when I picked some acne blemishes, but not keloids after ear and body piercing. Can I get Fractional CO2 resurfacing?
- Chemical Skin Peel New Orleans - I'm a African-American who is 20 years old who still gets really bad acne which turns into post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. What should I do? The dark spots embarrass me even more than the acne.
- Chemical Peel in New Orleans - I am planning on getting a chemical peel and would like to know what I can do to make sure I have a good result.
- Chemical Skin Peel Before and After New Orleans - I have deep ice pick scars and have tried laser and even old fashioned dermabrasion for improvement. I really have not seen any change. Is there some other, more effective option?
- Chemical Peel Treatment New Orleans - Can I get a peel and filler on the same day?
Back to Chemical Peels Home Page