Effective hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) treatments in New Orleans dermatology practiceBy Dr. Mary Lupo
Hyperhidrosis is a term used when diagnosis of excessive sweating is made. Excessive sweating is something that patients cannot control. Those diagnosed with the condition are individuals who continue to sweat daily even when not exerting energy or feeling warm. They may be unable to control their sweating with standard over-the-counter antiperspirants. Another common problem with hyperhidrosis is staining of clothing. Patients with excessive sweating find over time that their wardrobe consists of dark, breathable fabrics because of their condition.
Patients with hyperhidrosis should not be embarrassed about seeking a solution through a board certified dermatologist; such as Dr. Mary Lupo of the Lupo Center for Aesthetic and General Dermatology. Dr. Mary Lupo can provide proper diagnosis and treatments for patients who are suffering from hyperhidrosis.
Treatment of hyperhidrosis will vary greatly depending on the severity of the condition and the location. They may include solutions like:
- Botox injections – injections of this neuromodulator can reduce the nerve triggers that result in sweat in the underarm area, offering results for many months before reinjection is needed.
- Prescription drugs – medications may be used to get the sweat gland production under control from the inside out
- Prescription antiperspirants – over-the-counter antiperspirants may not be strong enough to provide effective results, during which Dr. Mary Lupo may provide prescription-strength solutions
- Topical creams – topical creams may be applied in the area of concern to reduce sweating
- Iontophoresis – treatment with electric pulses can disable the sweat glands in the area and reduce overall perspiration
- Surgery – as a last resort, patients with severe cases of hyperhidrosis may benefit from permanent surgery to remove sweat glands
Our mission at the Lupo Center is to provide patients with innovative, effective and ethical care to make each person look and feel their personal best. To fulfill our goal, we provide state-of-the-art medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments to all patients.
Board certified dermatologist and clinical professor of dermatology Mary P. Lupo, MD has been a leader in the field of non-surgical rejuvenation since 1983. She travels internationally to teach her innovative techniques, and her reputation brings in patients from around the country. She started the first formal residency training program for injectables and peels in 1983 at Tulane Medical School and served as past president of Women’s Dermatologic Society, adjunct professor of dermatology at Tulane and a founder of Cosmetic Boot Camp. Dr. Lupo holds membership in many prestigious dermatology associations, participates in clinical trials for approval of new drugs and devices and acts as an advisor for numerous aesthetic-minded companies.