A. I would suggest that you consider Fractional CO2 resurfacing. I use the Lumenis Active/Deep FX (also known as Total FX) system. This is an ablative procedure, so be prepared for a week of downtime (oozing and red and no make-up allowed), but it will give you the most dramatic and long lasting results.
Q. I have sun damage and wrinkles and want to do a laser treatment. After doing some research, I am confused as to whether I should do Fraxel or Active FX. Which is better?
A. Well, in some ways, this is like choosing between a great fish and meat dish on the menu. Both are good. Both work great for sun damage and wrinkles. In general, you will get more improvement of pigment and wrinkles with fewer treatments of Active/ Deep FX than you will with Fraxel. The new Dual Fraxel is the best version so far and does in one treatment what 3 old Fraxel Restore treatments would do, but it still gives less dramatic improvement than one treatment with fractional CO2. The trade off is the oozing and downtime when you cannot wear any make-up for a week with Active FX. In a pinch, you can put make-up on after one day with the Dual, although you don't look really good for 5 days.
Q. I am an African American female with acne scars. I have had mild keloids on my chest when I picked some acne blemishes, but there were keloids after I got ear and body piercings. Can I get Fractional CO2 resurfacing?
A. In my opinion, you are not a candidate for CO2. The keloid risk for facial resurfacing is small, but the risk of post-inflammatory hypopigmentation makes me think Fraxel Restore or Cooltouch C3 are better options.
More Fractional CO2 Resurfacing Related Questions
- New Orleans Fractional Co2 Skin Resurfacing - I am 52 years old and I have tried Botox for my crow's feet, but it really does not work as well for me as it used to. Please tell me my other options.
- Fractional CO2 Laser New Orleans - I used to smoke and go in tanning beds and as a result I am just 40, but I have deep lines around my mouth. I know fillers would help, but I would like a more permanent option.
- New Orleans Fractional CO2 Resurfacing - I have a scar on my face from skin cancer surgery. What can improve it?
- Laser Skin Resurfacing New Orleans - I have lots of wrinkles and lines at 55 years but I do not want injections. I am thin and really do not sag at all. Is a face lift for me?
- Fractional Resurfacing In New Orleans - What are my non-surgical options to tighten sagging skin under my eyes?
Back to Fractional CO2 Resurfacing Home Page
Our mission at the Lupo Center is to provide patients with innovative, effective and ethical care to make each person look and feel their personal best. To fulfill our goal, we provide state-of-the-art medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments to all patients.
Board certified dermatologist and clinical professor of dermatology Mary P. Lupo, MD has been a leader in the field of non-surgical rejuvenation since 1983. She travels internationally to teach her innovative techniques, and her reputation brings in patients from around the country. She started the first formal residency training program for injectables and peels in 1983 at Tulane Medical School and served as past president of Women’s Dermatologic Society, adjunct professor of dermatology at Tulane and a founder of Cosmetic Boot Camp. Dr. Lupo holds membership in many prestigious dermatology associations, participates in clinical trials for approval of new drugs and devices and acts as an advisor for numerous aesthetic-minded companies.