A. Stretch marks, or striae, are from damaged elastin in the dermis. They usually occur after rapid weight gain or growth spurts. The propensity to get them seems to be inherited and they are more common in women especially as a result of pregnancy. Fraxel Restore is one of the best ways to improve striae. 3-6 sessions will be required. Avoiding the sun is important since the sun breaks down collagen and elastic tissue in the skin. The use of Retin A and peptides also seem to help striae.
Q. I have acne scars and I am an African-American woman in my 30's. Which laser is best for treating my scars?
A. In general, Fraxel Restore is a safe option for darker skin. The density (area of coverage) can be decreased in order to preserve pigment cells that will prevent a change in the color of your skin. Pre and post treatment to prevent hyperpigmentation will be very important, and sunscreen is essential to prevent discoloration. If you live in a sunny climate, it might be prudent to have the treatments in the winter months. In general 3-6 sessions will be needed for moderate-severe scars. Remember, ethical dermatologists can only promise improvement, not total clearance, so realistic expectations are important especially if the scars are severe.
Q.Does Fraxel Restore 1550/1927 Work for Acne Scars?
A. Fraxel is one of the best options for acne scars. The newest version of Restore is now called Dual because it is two wavelengths of laser energy.
It has the original 1550nm for non-ablative collagen regeneration. This can be used on all skin types and the energy density used can be varied depending on the patient's skin type, color, and depth of the scars. The new wavelength is a thulium 1927nm laser that has more superficial absorption and is best for discolorations from acne, melasma, and sun induced aging.
The Dual treatment is a combination of the two energies. I mainly do both for aging, but certain acne scars benefit from both lasers' wavelengths. If there is no discoloration, however, I tend to be aggressive with the 1550 and skip the 1927 passes. Only your dermatologist can be sure what is best in your case.
More Fraxel Restore Related Questions
- Fraxel Dual New Orleans - I went to a med spa recently and after a consult, the aesthetician did a procedure called "fractional". I am not sure what it was exactly, but she said it was to improve my sun damage. Well that was $800.00 dollars ad 3 weeks ago and I look no better at all. What, exactly, is "fractional"?
- Fraxel in New Orleans - I had a laser treatment and I was told it was a Fraxel, but I just saw a TV show and the machine said Fraxel on it. The one used on me did not look like the same machine, and the one on TV was a roller application. The machine used on me was stamped in spots on my face. Was I duped?
- Fraxel Procedure New Orleans - What are my options to improve my stretch marks?
- Fraxel Treatments New Orleans - Is It OK to go to a Tanning Booth (Wearing a 50 SPF) in Between Fraxel Treatments? I want to protect my face but still get a body-tan. Will a SPF 50 sunblock provide enough protection to the face during 7-minute sun booth sessions?
- Fraxel Restore in New Orleans - What Procedures Can Remove Ice Pick Scars?
- Fraxel Restore New Orleans - I had Fraxel 3 days ago and my skin is very dry and brown. Is this normal?
- Fractora Laser vs Fraxel New Orleans - I had a Fraxel several months ago. Is it safe for me to get on Accutane?
- Fraxel Treatment New Orleans - I am planning on getting Fraxel. How can I maximize my results and maintain the improvement longer? I can only afford to do this once!
- Fraxel Scar Removal New Orleans - I have deep pitted, old acne scars that I would like treated. Is Fraxel the best option for treatment? I have tried chemical peels and microdermabrasion with little improvement.
- Fraxel Restore Procedure New Orleans - Would Fraxel laser remove the white spots I am getting on my arms and legs and shoulders? What kind of procedure would improve these white spots where there appears to be no more pigment left? I seem to have just as many freckles as I have white spots now that I'm 40. Are these white spots considered age spots too?
Back to Fraxel Restore Home Page
Our mission at the Lupo Center is to provide patients with innovative, effective and ethical care to make each person look and feel their personal best. To fulfill our goal, we provide state-of-the-art medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments to all patients.
Board certified dermatologist and clinical professor of dermatology Mary P. Lupo, MD has been a leader in the field of non-surgical rejuvenation since 1983. She travels internationally to teach her innovative techniques, and her reputation brings in patients from around the country. She started the first formal residency training program for injectables and peels in 1983 at Tulane Medical School and served as past president of Women’s Dermatologic Society, adjunct professor of dermatology at Tulane and a founder of Cosmetic Boot Camp. Dr. Lupo holds membership in many prestigious dermatology associations, participates in clinical trials for approval of new drugs and devices and acts as an advisor for numerous aesthetic-minded companies.