A: First, make sure you are getting FRAXEL, and not fractional resurfacing. All tissue is not Kleenex yet they are all called the high brand name that set the standard. There really IS a huge difference in the results because of the unique rolling application that insures even application of the laser energy with no skip areas. I just have not seen the same results when the "stamped" fractionated laser is used. Look for the name Fraxel on the machine and accept no substitutes. Next, make sure your skin is pre-treated with retinoids as well as antioxidants, sunscreens and perhaps bleaching agents. After the treatment I strongly recommend growth factors and retinoids at night and sunscreens and antioxidants in the morning. Talk to your dermatologist about what specific products are best for you. Good luck.
Q:I finished Accutane 4 months ago and it was a miracle for my severe acne. I am only sorry I was afraid to take it 2 years ago when the cysts began, as now the scarring from the severe acne is the only remnant of my terrible problem. I just cannot believe I was stupid enough to listen to all the misinformation on the internet.
In any case, I want these scars GONE. My wonderful dermatologist told me I have to wait but I am anxious to get started. Why can't I start now? And is Fraxel my best choice?
A: I am so glad that you finally got on the Accutane. When properly prescribed and monitored by a board certified dermatologist Accutane (isotretinoin) is, indeed, a miracle for severe acne. The scars are the result of the deep inflammation and perhaps even from picking and squeezing. I agree that procedures need to be postponed for several months post-isotretinoin as this drug inhibits the sebaceous glands that are so important for proper and rapid healing after skin resurfacing procedures. Depending on the procedure and the level of aggressiveness, you need to wait 6-12 months post-Accutane. For severe scars, CO2 might be needed and for this aggressive procedure as well as traditional dermabrasion, you must wait at least 12 months. For less aggressive Fraxel Restore at lower densities and fluence, 6 months might be safe. A test spot could be done first to access your healing. In any case, the bad news is NO treatment will reverse severe acne scars 100%, but procedures that I mentioned can certainly fade those scars enough that they no longer cause you so much distress. Good luck.
More Fraxel Restore Related Questions
- Fraxel Dual New Orleans - I went to a med spa recently and after a consult, the aesthetician did a procedure called "fractional". I am not sure what it was exactly, but she said it was to improve my sun damage. Well that was $800.00 dollars ad 3 weeks ago and I look no better at all. What, exactly, is "fractional"?
- Fraxel in New Orleans - I had a laser treatment and I was told it was a Fraxel, but I just saw a TV show and the machine said Fraxel on it. The one used on me did not look like the same machine, and the one on TV was a roller application. The machine used on me was stamped in spots on my face. Was I duped?
- Fraxel Procedure New Orleans - What are my options to improve my stretch marks?
- Fraxel Treatments New Orleans - Is It OK to go to a Tanning Booth (Wearing a 50 SPF) in Between Fraxel Treatments? I want to protect my face but still get a body-tan. Will a SPF 50 sunblock provide enough protection to the face during 7-minute sun booth sessions?
- Fraxel Restore in New Orleans - What Procedures Can Remove Ice Pick Scars?
- Fraxel Restore New Orleans - I had Fraxel 3 days ago and my skin is very dry and brown. Is this normal?
- Fractora Laser vs Fraxel New Orleans - I had a Fraxel several months ago. Is it safe for me to get on Accutane?
- Fraxel Treatment New Orleans - I am planning on getting Fraxel. How can I maximize my results and maintain the improvement longer? I can only afford to do this once!
- Fraxel Scar Removal New Orleans - I have deep pitted, old acne scars that I would like treated. Is Fraxel the best option for treatment? I have tried chemical peels and microdermabrasion with little improvement.
- Fraxel Restore Procedure New Orleans - Would Fraxel laser remove the white spots I am getting on my arms and legs and shoulders? What kind of procedure would improve these white spots where there appears to be no more pigment left? I seem to have just as many freckles as I have white spots now that I'm 40. Are these white spots considered age spots too?
Back to Fraxel Restore Home Page
Our mission at the Lupo Center is to provide patients with innovative, effective and ethical care to make each person look and feel their personal best. To fulfill our goal, we provide state-of-the-art medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments to all patients.
Board certified dermatologist and clinical professor of dermatology Mary P. Lupo, MD has been a leader in the field of non-surgical rejuvenation since 1983. She travels internationally to teach her innovative techniques, and her reputation brings in patients from around the country. She started the first formal residency training program for injectables and peels in 1983 at Tulane Medical School and served as past president of Women’s Dermatologic Society, adjunct professor of dermatology at Tulane and a founder of Cosmetic Boot Camp. Dr. Lupo holds membership in many prestigious dermatology associations, participates in clinical trials for approval of new drugs and devices and acts as an advisor for numerous aesthetic-minded companies.