A: This is an excellent question since patients often do not understand some of the differences between fillers and how they can optimally be used. Juvederm is one of the most versatile fillers, but it takes an expert to get the best results.
The FDA has found that Juvederm is a safe and effective treatment for facial lines and folds, such as nasolabial folds. As such, Juvederm is injected into lipstick lines, as well as smile and marionette lines and folds. Practicing dermatologists and plastic surgeons, however, use Juvederm in areas other than where it is FDA approved. This is called an “off-label” use. The most common area we inject Juvederm off label is the lips. This is because Juvederm is a very soft hyaluronic acid filler that looks very natural. The most common side effects of lip injections are swelling and bruising. These are temporary and will last 2-7 days. It is important to avoid aspirin and other blood thinners like fish oil for 2 weeks prior to injection to decrease the risk of bruising.
Juvederm can also be injected into sagging earlobes, deflating cheeks and hollowed temples and tear troughs. These last two areas are not my favorite for Juvederm. Sculptra and Restylane may be preferred in these areas and Radiesse and Perlane may have more dramatic results in the cheeks. Juvederm can complement the benefits of Botox around the eyes and in the frown lines. These subtle differences are understood by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Finally, let me mention that one of the reasons that Juvederm is so safe and popular is that if anything goes wrong, it can be completely dissolved by hyaluronidase. This makes Juvederm one of the safest and most versatile fillers on the US market.
More Juvederm Related Questions
- Juvederm Ultra New Orleans - Where can a filler like Juvederm be used?
- Juvederm Injection New Orleans - Is it a bad idea to get Juvederm injected three weeks before a big event?
- Juvederm Injections New Orleans - I'm a 35 years old. with a clotting disorder so I take Coumadin daily and was wondering if it is safe to have Juvederm injected into my smile lines?
- Juvederm Lips New Orleans - I would like my lips to be plumper and have a bit of a pout. They're quite thin and the upper lip especially has a very flat look between my nose and lips. Since I have a slight overbite do you think the filler would make my lips look very fake and ducklike? I want it to look natural and subtle. How much do you think I would need and where would I have it injected for the most benefit? Also would you recommend that I get it in my philtral columns?
- Juvederm Before and After New Orleans - I had Juvederm injected into my lips about 3 weeks ago by a very new doctor in Baton Rouge. The swelling has completely gone down, and at first glance my lips look fine (not the results she promised but they look ok). This is my problem: when I feel my lips, they feel hard, accompanied by pain if I squeeze. Is this normal? It has been 3 weeks.
- Juvederm Fillers in New Orleans - I have had Juvederm injected for years by my dermatologist and loved the results. I was at my dentist recently and while i was in the chair and numb, he suggested I let him inject me since he was now doing Juvederm injections. Well, I did not want to offend him right before he was about to fill a tooth, so I said "sure". I am now heartsick. I am crooked and lumpy and I don't even think it was injected where my wrinkles were. What went wrong?
- Juvederm for Frown Lines New Orleans - What is the best filler for the frown lines?
- Juvederm Bruises New Orleans - How long does Juvederm treatment usually take?
Back to Juvederm Home Page