A. Unfortunately for your phobia, several head to head studies confirm that sclerotherapy is more effective and actually in my clinic, found to be less painful than laser for the treatment of spider and reticular leg veins. It is also less expensive because you are not paying for the expensive laser equipment costs.
Q.I had sclerotherapy several years ago and it was very effective but it hurt. Over the years, I have gotten more spider veins. Is there a less painful option? It was not the stick. It was such a tiny needle. I just hated that burning and cramping.
A. Yes! I am happy to report that the Federal Drug Administration approved polidocanol in 2010. It is being sold by Merz to trained core aesthetic physicians under the trade name Asclera. Asclera is a detergent sclerosant FDA approved for spider and reticular veins in patients without complicated venous disease. Asclera works by damaging the cells, called endothelial cells that line the blood vessel. Over several weeks, the damaged cells cause a fibrosis and closing of the veins. The injections take about 15 minutes. There is no downtime, but stocking should be worn for 1-14 days and the sclerosis that permanently closes the vein takes several weeks. Bruising is the most common complication.
Q.Can you please tell me if there are any special instructions for after sclerotherapy for spider veins?
A. Sclerotherapy works best if compression stockings are worn for 24 hours after treatment for spider veins. This compresses the vessel and makes it heal closed rather than having the vessels pop open when you stand and put pressure on the venous system. It also reduces the chance of hyperpigmentation from the blood being trapped inside the vein. If blood is trapped, it results in a residual pigment called hemosiderin that causes dark lines and spots.
More Sclerotherapy Related Questions
- Sclerotherapy New Orleans LA - I had a series of sclerotherapy treatment 5 years ago and I still have the stockings. I have lost a little weight since my last treatment series. Do I need new stockings?
- New Orleans Vein Treatment - I have veins in my legs I want gone. I am needle phobic. Do lasers work as well?
- Sclerotherapy Treatments New Orleans - I'm a 24 year old female, 5 '2" & 118lbs. I have had very visible green veins that don't bulge on my legs for the past couple of years - actually one on my leg has been very visible since I was 12. The veins seem to be worsening. I 've never been severely overweight (but in 2008 I was around 130lbs) and haven 't had any kids, but my job requires me to be on my feet. Sometimes it feels like I have dull pains in my legs. What would work for me?
- Leg Veins New Orleans - I am 33 and have had 2 children. With each pregnancy, my leg veins have gotten worse. I want to have one more child. Should I wait until all pregnancies are behind me, or come in soon and be treated even if I want to have another child in a couple of years?
- Sclerotherapy Treatment New Orleans - Do I need compression stockings after sclerotherapy?
- Spider Vein Treatment New Orleans - I have small dark moles on my neck. They run in my family. I think they make me look old, And sometimes they get irritated by my necklaces. Is there a safe treatment that will not change my skin color (I am mixed-race)?
Back to Sclerotherapy Home Page
Our mission at the Lupo Center is to provide patients with innovative, effective and ethical care to make each person look and feel their personal best. To fulfill our goal, we provide state-of-the-art medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments to all patients.
Board certified dermatologist and clinical professor of dermatology Mary P. Lupo, MD has been a leader in the field of non-surgical rejuvenation since 1983. She travels internationally to teach her innovative techniques, and her reputation brings in patients from around the country. She started the first formal residency training program for injectables and peels in 1983 at Tulane Medical School and served as past president of Women’s Dermatologic Society, adjunct professor of dermatology at Tulane and a founder of Cosmetic Boot Camp. Dr. Lupo holds membership in many prestigious dermatology associations, participates in clinical trials for approval of new drugs and devices and acts as an advisor for numerous aesthetic-minded companies.