Microneedling treatments are used to rejuvenate the skin by reducing the appearance of fine lines, scars, pore size and stretch marks while improving uneven skin texture. Microneedling is a minimally invasive treatment that uses very fine needles to create tiny punctures (microchannels) in the top layer of the skin. These microchannels trigger the body to create new collagen and elastin as well as allowing skin care products (or PRP – see below) to penetrate better into the skin. With the production of new collagen (the protein that keeps the skin plump and firm) and elastin (the protein that gives the skin its spring and elasticity), the skin regains a fresher, younger-looking appearance.
At the Lupo Center for Aesthetic and General Dermatology, we treat patients with SkinPen, the world’s only FDA-cleared microneedling device. Here’s what you can expect from a SkinPen microneedling procedure:
- A plan for optimal results: After a consultation with one of our board certified dermatologists, a course of treatments will be determined based on your individual needs. Initially, patients receive three-six treatments spaced out every three-four weeks followed by annual maintenance as needed.
- A comfortable procedure: we apply topical numbing to make the treatment easily tolerated. Most patients only feel the vibrations from the SkinPen during the procedure.
- A short procedure time: treatments typically only take 15-45 minutes, depending on the area(s) being treated.
- Little to no downtime: The skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately post-procedure, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn. In the days following the treatment, there may be some dryness, rough skin, tightness, redness, itching, peeling, discomfort, tenderness and burning. These conditions resolved over time without any further complications.
- Soothing aftercare: Immediately following the procedure, our laser technician applies a soothing skin care product to the skin. We will recommend skin care products for your individual needs for at-home maintenance.
For an enhanced microneedling treatment, some patients choose to have their own PRR (platelet-rich plasma) applied to the skin immediately before and after the microneedling treatment. PRP involves withdrawing a patient’s own blood, processing it so that only the enriched PRP cells remain and applying that plasma to the skin. PRP contains a high concentration of natural growth factors and essential proteins that stimulate the healing process and creation of collagen. In this way, PRP softens wrinkles and evens out texture and tone.
Microneedling with the SkinPen is safe for all skin types, and it is effective on all parts of the body, including the face, neck and décolletage. This treatment can be done any time of the year; however, we recommend that patients stay out of direct sunlight during the first five days after treatment. To schedule a consultation to see if microneedling is right for you, call us today at 504-777-3047.
Lupo Center for Aesthetic and General Dermatology
Mary P. Lupo, M.D. - Connect on Linkedin
Our mission at the Lupo Center is to provide patients with innovative, effective and ethical care to make each person look and feel their personal best. To fulfill our goal, we provide state-of-the-art medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments to all patients.
Board certified dermatologist and clinical professor of dermatology Mary P. Lupo, MD has been a leader in the field of non-surgical rejuvenation since 1983. She travels internationally to teach her innovative techniques, and her reputation brings in patients from around the country. She started the first formal residency training program for injectables and peels in 1983 at Tulane Medical School and served as past president of Women’s Dermatologic Society, clinical professor of dermatology at Tulane and a founder of Cosmetic Boot Camp. Dr. Lupo holds membership in many prestigious dermatology associations, participates in clinical trials for approval of new drugs and devices and acts as an advisor for numerous aesthetic-minded companies.