A: The answer is yes. IPL and dermal fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse, Belotero and Sculptra can be done the same day as IPL. In fact, the order in which they are performed does not make a big difference, but if the filler is done first, the IPL is virtually discomfort-free due to the anesthetic in the fillers.
Q: is there a no-laser option to improve my indented acne scars?
A: Yes, Restylane, which is a hyaluronic acid filler that has been FDA approved for wrinkles since 2003, works well when injected into the depressions of acne scars to lift them up and smooth the surface contours of acne scars. The effect is immediate and typically lasts up to one year.
Q: Is there an ideal candidate for Intense Pulsed Light therapy?
A: There is usually an ideal candidate for every procedure. For IPL, it can be many types of patients. People with redness and flushing from rosacea see significant remission in these symptoms after 3-5 IPL sessions. Patients with sun damage who are fair and not currently tanned can achieve significant cosmetic improvement in the ruddiness and the dark blotchiness from chronic sun damage. Other great candidates are those who have had face lifts and suffered trauma that caused capillaries to dilate along the sides of the cheeks. Even some cases of Melasma can be improved with IPL. It is a safe, no downtime option appropriate for many patients and conditions.
Q: I am an African American woman with dark spots from acne. Will IPL help me?
A: I am afraid not. Deeply pigmented skin is not optimal for IPL. Chemical peels, Laser Genesis and several other options are much safer and more effective on darker skin.
More Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Related Questions
- IPL for Melasma New Orleans - I do filler regularly. Either Restylane L or Juvederm XC. I am interested in getting rid of some of the redness on my face. Can I do filler and IPL on the same day?
- Excel V Laser New Orleans - I have a tendency to bruise from filler. I have very thin, fair skin, and I take aspirin for a medical condition. Is there a way to prevent bruising? Or can it resolve faster?
- Intense Pulse Light New Orleans LA - Hi Dr. Lupo, I am a 60 year old African American female; I have dark skin with hyper pigmentation from acne scars. I recently went to a local laser center for a consultation and was recommended that I receive multiple intense pulse light treatments. I am uneasy about this because I know that not all lasers are safe for African American skin. What is your personal opinion on this laser for someone of African American decent?
- Intense Pulse Light Treatment New Orleans - Is there any advice to improve the results from my upcoming Intense Pulsed Light treatments
- Intense Pulsed Light New Orleans - IPL or Chemical Peel - Which is a Better Option for Acne, Acne Scars and Large Pores?
- Fotofacial Treatment New Orleans - I am 64 years old, fair and have thin skin with lots of discolorations and broken capillaries. Am I a candidate for microdermabrasion or IPL photofacial?
- Intense Pulsed Light in New Orleans - What is intense pulsed light in New Orleans?
Back to Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Home Page
Our mission at the Lupo Center is to provide patients with innovative, effective and ethical care to make each person look and feel their personal best. To fulfill our goal, we provide state-of-the-art medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments to all patients.
Board certified dermatologist and clinical professor of dermatology Mary P. Lupo, MD has been a leader in the field of non-surgical rejuvenation since 1983. She travels internationally to teach her innovative techniques, and her reputation brings in patients from around the country. She started the first formal residency training program for injectables and peels in 1983 at Tulane Medical School and served as past president of Women’s Dermatologic Society, clinical professor of dermatology at Tulane and a founder of Cosmetic Boot Camp. Dr. Lupo holds membership in many prestigious dermatology associations, participates in clinical trials for approval of new drugs and devices and acts as an advisor for numerous aesthetic-minded companies.