A: The quick answer is that there are peels designed for safe use off the face. There are factors that must be considered, so be sure you see a board certified dermatologist who really knows and performs peels regularly. But there might be more important issues at play. Darkening of the skin on the back of the neck is usually acanthosis nigricans. This is not in and of itself dangerous, but it is a marker for diabetes mellitus. I always ask people who present with acanthosis nigricans if they have a family history of diabetes, and I check their weight and look them over for other signs of metabolic disease (is there facial hair?) and I get a history on the menstrual cycle (irregular or heavy flow?). I often even check their hemoglobin A1C to detect previously undiagnosed diabetes or metabolic syndrome. Remember, the skin is often a window into your health, so please make sure you see a good dermatologist.
More Chemical Peels Related Questions
- Chemical Peel Treatment in New Orleans - I have very dark skin on the back of my neck. It is embarrassing, so I will not wear my hair up. My hair is very unruly, and for work, I need to put it up. I am looking for a solution to lighten the color. Can a chemical peel be done on the neck?
- Chemical Peel After Results New Orleans - I have acne and dark spots. I admit, I tend to pick. Can a peel help the dark spots and if so, which peel is best? There seems to be so many types, I get confused
- New Orleans Chemical Peels - Is it absolutely necessary to have a pre-peel program prior to a peel? I have a big event in 3 weeks and do not have time to prep. Would I be wasting my time?
- Chemical Peels in New Orleans - What are lunchtime peels?
- Chemical Peel New Orleans - I am an African American female with acne scars. I have had mild keloids on my chest when I picked some acne blemishes, but not keloids after ear and body piercing. Can I get Fractional CO2 resurfacing?
- Chemical Skin Peel New Orleans - I'm a African-American who is 20 years old who still gets really bad acne which turns into post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. What should I do? The dark spots embarrass me even more than the acne.
- Chemical Peel in New Orleans - I am planning on getting a chemical peel and would like to know what I can do to make sure I have a good result.
- Chemical Skin Peel Before and After New Orleans - I have deep ice pick scars and have tried laser and even old fashioned dermabrasion for improvement. I really have not seen any change. Is there some other, more effective option?
- Chemical Peel Treatment New Orleans - Can I get a peel and filler on the same day?
Back to Chemical Peels Home Page
Our mission at the Lupo Center is to provide patients with innovative, effective and ethical care to make each person look and feel their personal best. To fulfill our goal, we provide state-of-the-art medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments to all patients.
Board certified dermatologist and clinical professor of dermatology Mary P. Lupo, MD has been a leader in the field of non-surgical rejuvenation since 1983. She travels internationally to teach her innovative techniques, and her reputation brings in patients from around the country. She started the first formal residency training program for injectables and peels in 1983 at Tulane Medical School and served as past president of Women’s Dermatologic Society, adjunct professor of dermatology at Tulane and a founder of Cosmetic Boot Camp. Dr. Lupo holds membership in many prestigious dermatology associations, participates in clinical trials for approval of new drugs and devices and acts as an advisor for numerous aesthetic-minded companies.