A: I routinely do filler and Botox on the same day as light peels. If it is a salicylic acid peel, it even provides some anesthesia for the needle sticks. I would not do a peel that causes swelling on the same day, but a light peel would be fine. I always peel before I inject. If injected first, the chemical can go down the needle tract and possibly cause crusting.
Q: What Kind of Chemical Peel Can Help with Mosquito Bite Scars on my Legs from Child Hood? and if Chemicals Cant Work Than What?
A: Post-mosquito scars are really post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation in most cases. This is typically seen in darker skin and is worsened by any scratching from the itch. True scars from insect bites only occur if the patient scratches so much that they get a secondary infection.
My usual recommendation is an anti-inflammatory cream, and sometimes a bleaching cream. A series of light peels is also helpful as is Diamond Glow. In severe cases, Fraxel might be considered. The best strategy is to use the anti-inflammatory cream BEFORE the discoloration occurs. And as always, avoid scratching and picking your skin.
Q: I have darker skin and I have had glycolic acid peels in the past that caused discoloration of my skin. Do you think peels are safe for darker skin?
A: Yes, but your doctor must be careful about the choice of peeling agent. I particularly like salicylic acid over glycolic acid in darker skin because it is really ideal for oiliness, acne and mild acne discoloration, which is what most of my darker patients ask to have improved (as opposed to wrinkles in Caucasian patients). Salicylic acid is also self-limiting and does not require the acid to be neutralized. This prevents "hot spots" where the acid can burn too deep and cause discoloration, which is a risk of glycolic peels.
Q: I had a 20% peel around my eyes, upper and lower lids and crow's feet. A full 3 days after the peel, the skin around my eyes have become slightly darker and it feels tight. The skin actually looks MORE wrinkled now. It almost feels like a very thin layer of Elmer's glue was applied to my skin and then allowed to dry. It is tight, dry, crinkly and weird looking. Makeup makes it look even worse. I am told it may take a while for the layer of dead skin to peel, but how long?
A: 20% TCA is a reasonable choice for periocular rejuvenation and it will help fine lines and discoloration. Your doctor should have warned you that you will look worse before you look better, for one week. Be sure to use sun protection and to keep the dry, dark skin moist to facilitate the peeling and relieve tightness. I still recommend Botox with the peel to help with the lines that are caused by the movement of the muscles around the eyes, as chemical peeling will show no improvement of this problem.
More Chemical Peels Related Questions
- Chemical Peel Treatment in New Orleans - I have very dark skin on the back of my neck. It is embarrassing, so I will not wear my hair up. My hair is very unruly, and for work, I need to put it up. I am looking for a solution to lighten the color. Can a chemical peel be done on the neck?
- Chemical Peel After Results New Orleans - I have acne and dark spots. I admit, I tend to pick. Can a peel help the dark spots and if so, which peel is best? There seems to be so many types, I get confused
- New Orleans Chemical Peels - Is it absolutely necessary to have a pre-peel program prior to a peel? I have a big event in 3 weeks and do not have time to prep. Would I be wasting my time?
- Chemical Peels in New Orleans - What are lunchtime peels?
- Chemical Peel New Orleans - I am an African American female with acne scars. I have had mild keloids on my chest when I picked some acne blemishes, but not keloids after ear and body piercing. Can I get Fractional CO2 resurfacing?
- Chemical Skin Peel New Orleans - I'm a African-American who is 20 years old who still gets really bad acne which turns into post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. What should I do? The dark spots embarrass me even more than the acne.
- Chemical Peel in New Orleans - I am planning on getting a chemical peel and would like to know what I can do to make sure I have a good result.
- Chemical Skin Peel Before and After New Orleans - I have deep ice pick scars and have tried laser and even old fashioned dermabrasion for improvement. I really have not seen any change. Is there some other, more effective option?
- Chemical Peel Treatment New Orleans - Can I get a peel and filler on the same day?
Back to Chemical Peels Home Page
Our mission at the Lupo Center is to provide patients with innovative, effective and ethical care to make each person look and feel their personal best. To fulfill our goal, we provide state-of-the-art medical, surgical and cosmetic treatments to all patients.
Board certified dermatologist and clinical professor of dermatology Mary P. Lupo, MD has been a leader in the field of non-surgical rejuvenation since 1983. She travels internationally to teach her innovative techniques, and her reputation brings in patients from around the country. She started the first formal residency training program for injectables and peels in 1983 at Tulane Medical School and served as past president of Women’s Dermatologic Society, adjunct professor of dermatology at Tulane and a founder of Cosmetic Boot Camp. Dr. Lupo holds membership in many prestigious dermatology associations, participates in clinical trials for approval of new drugs and devices and acts as an advisor for numerous aesthetic-minded companies.