A. Perlane is sold by Medicis, the company that also sells the more well known hyaluronic acid filler, Restylane. Perlane is a large particle HA filler that is best used for deeper folds, rather than fine or etched lines. If Perlane is injected too superficially, it causes a blue lump, but it can easily be dissolved with hyaluronidase or the skin can be nicked with a lancet and the excess, superficial material can be gently milked out. Go see an experienced injector and stop suffering with this easily reversible complication.
Q. I have systemic lupus erythematosus. It has never affected my face or skin. I have sun sensitivity, a history of joint pains (now controlled on Plaquenil™)and sometimes some breathing difficulties. I started a new very low carbohydrate diet that I think is really helping my lupus, but I have lost weight in my face and I now look much older (I am 45 and Caucasian). Can I have Restylane injected into my face? Is it safe in patients with lupus?
A. There have been no clinical trials done in order to evaluate the safety and efficacy of fillers in patients with autoimmune conditions. There is a theoretical risk that you would be at increased risk of infection and that the filler would not last as long, but hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane/ Perlane or Juvederm would be the relative best choice for injection into patients like you. I have done Restylane in autoimmune patients and can anecdotally report I have seen no complications. I would discuss it with your primary care physician and your dermatologist, but I think it is reasonably safe. By the way, very low carbohydrate diets are anti-inflammatory so I am not surprised your lupus might have improved. Good luck and keep me posted.
More Restylane/Perlane Related Questions
- Restylane Treatment in New Orleans - I have deep ridges between my eyes and cheeks. I just look tired all the time. I am aware of using dermal fillers to fill in the indentations, but I have also read about a lot of problems with that approach to correct the "tear troughs". Can you help me decide if I should do this?
- Perlane and Restylane New Orleans - I am confused about fillers. How does a doctor choose which is best?
- Restylane Treatments New Orleans - I have acne scars and do not have time to miss work from a laser. What else can I try?
- Restylane Injections in New Orleans - How Many Syringes of Restylane for Long Tear Troughs?
- Restylane New Orleans - I had Restylane lip injections 2 months ago at a med spa. I noticed a lump over the top of my left lip immediately after the injections, before the swelling started to kick in, but thought nothing of it at the time. 2 weeks later, the aesthetician said that this was present prior to the injections but the lip injections have made it more noticeable. Can it be corrected as I am now very self-conscious about it?
- New Orleans Restylane - I am only 27 and get a fair amount of sleep but my dark circles have become developed into slight hollowness. I have a great fear of needles going in me that I don't even have my ears pierced. Can you be put to sleep while getting or can you close your eyes while they are injecting near your eyes?
- Restylane Before and After New Orleans - I had Restylane injected 4 months ago while on vacation in California. I have what seems to be the Tyndall effect. How long will it last? Can you advise what laser improves the blue color.
- Restylane Perlane New Orleans - Is it safe to do Restylane if I have cervical cancer?
- What is Restylane New Orleans - 11 months ago, I had a young dermatologist inject me at a teaching hospital. I got the treatment for free, so I did not want to complain, but I have had a blue lump on one side ever since the Perlane was injected. Is there anything that can be done so long after?
Back to Restylane/Perlane Home Page